Private Big Canoe Skipper Course - Prince George RCMP
14junAll Day15Private Big Canoe Skipper Course - Prince George RCMP2 days
Includes a Paddle Canada certificate! Registrations will close 1 week prior to the event! For registrations within one week of desired course, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org or
Includes a Paddle Canada certificate!
Registrations will close 1 week prior to the event! For registrations within one week of desired course, please contact our office at email@example.com or call (604)477-4663. Participants will receive a registration package via email within 1-2 business days after submitting their registration. This will include all necessary details for the course including location, times, waivers etc!
- Minimum age of 16 years or high level of fitness and maturity.
- It is recommended that participants hold a Standard First Aid up to a Wilderness First Responder certificate, depending on where you plan to travel. It is the participants responsibility to ensure their First Aid certifications are of the appropriate skill level for their paddling destinations/journeys. See Ridge First Aid course offerings here!
Content: Paddling in a straight line, turns, docking, with and without the help of your crew. Crew commands, and leading skills, rescues, big canoe safety, paddling with other big canoes, what to expect from novice paddlers, packing for a trip, trim and balance of a canoe, how to work together.
Intent: To introduce big canoe paddling to those individuals who have a basic knowledge of paddling strokes. To gain knowledge and skill for the stern position in the big canoe and to gain the skills to lead novices in a big canoe on easy water (flat/lake water
*Includes a workbook, skipper talk + manual.
Safety and Rescue
- Carrying a big canoe
- Environment hazards (water/ wind/waves/weather) when to get off! Hypothermia & hyperthermia (being prepared)
- Group management
- Transport Canada regulations
- Safe canoe procedures and development of a float plan
- Signals (multiple canoes): whistle/paddle
- Canoe rescues
- Communication devices
General Paddling Skills
- Enter and exit a canoe: dock/shoreline
- Paddling and commanding a crew
- Forward & reverse strokes
- Check (stop)
- Draw and pry (active and stationary)
- Forward and reverse sweeps (stern only)
- Low brace
- Drop skeg
- Optional strokes for the bow position: Draws and pry’s (active and stationary)
- How to hold a paddle
- Position and roles of crew
- Commands for crew
- Straight lines
- Turns (wide and tight) (active and stationary strokes)
- Reverse paddling
- Docking and shoreline
- Changing paddler placement
- Group management
- Risk management
- Paddling within your ability
- Leave no trace principles
- Where to go from here (paddle courses and resources)
june 14 (Wednesday) - 15 (Thursday)